The Inlet created Singer Island, as we now know it, when it was dredged in 1918.
Originally only 4 feet deep, it has been enlarged over the years and is now maintained
at 33 feet.The soils from both the Inlet and the Port dredging was placed in a designated
‘Spoils Land fill’ area of Lake Worth which became Peanut Island. However as early
as 1857 an attempt was made to open a channel between the Ocean and the Lake by a
single individual and later at another location by sturdy early pioneers. A detailed
description of those involved and the reason behind the locations are presented in